Tuesday, November 29, 2011

25- AKA a Quarter of a Century





Before I go into the details of 25, let me just share some stories of when I lived with Kris. Kris is actually a decent cook. I am not. That winter we went over to Crissy's house and she made a pomegranate cheesecake that was amazing. So then I decided I would make one, but I read the receipe wrong and literally put 10 times the amount of gelatin in that I was supposed. The boys told me it looked like mashed potatoes and I had to agree. Then I decide I would make fudge and found this receipe that was called "No Fail Fudge." Perfect for me right? Wrong. I sat patiently stirring the fudge wondering why this dark brown streaks were coming to the top, but just figured it was burning a bit. Then I pulled the plastic spoon out and realized about an inch of the spoon had melted into the fudge. Kris still ate it and just spat the plastic out.

OK so my 25th birthday came and was a blast and then 2 days later was Kris's 25th birthday so we celebrated it with Sherah, Wes, Kris, and I at our house and it was a great night, but we won't go into any details to keep everyone's reputation safe. : )




For New Years I went up to Rochester to spend time with Ryan and his family. I had met his mom, brother and sister before briefly, but he wanted me to get to know them better under our new context. It was a fun New Years, but hard as Ryan was in a really dark place in his life and finally decided that he wanted to protect me from it all and protect himself from the hurt of another relationship. It was hard because always before I was the one who ended the relationships so this time when I had no control over the outcome and I was not only losing the person I cared about deeply, but also one of my best friends. I was so glad that Kris lived just downstairs and Sherah and I were working together at that time because I needed to be surrounded by people I loved and who loved me to get through that. When I got home, I wasn't sleeping well because of all of it and I remember Crissy coming over to see me one day. Her & Kris and I were sitting in the living room talking and I started a sentence and then fell asleep in the middle over it for a few seconds, and then woke up and finished the sentence. I wish I had a camera of the 2 of their confused faces when I woke up and they asked, "Did you just fall asleep?"

The next few weeks I decided that I was going to go on some dates to start moving on. I went on some dates with my UPS man who had been interested in me for awhile and then I was set up on a blind date with "Joe." I had talked with him on the phone beforehand and he had told me that people refer to him as Johnny Cash. I thought that was cool- I am a Cash fan. I also knew that Sherah had told him that he should take me out to Italian food instead of a steakhouse. Well he comes to pick me up and has a creepy mustache, black high topped sneakers and metallica floor mat and stickers in his car, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. He took me on a scenic walk about the Steakhouse he took me too (remeber Sherah had told him not to bring me to a steakhouse) past dumpsters, informed me I was an expensive date even though I picked the cheapest meal & offered to pay, bragged to about how much money he made and how he had given the waiter a huge tip. He suggested we go see a movie and said I could pick what we saw, but when I made a suggestion, he said, "Actually, I think we should go see James Bond. I have already watched it 3 times and it was really good." At this point I should have just asked him to take me home, but he started appologizing about how lame of a date he was, etc so I felt bad, but in my head I was baffled and really it felt like an out of body experience like I was watching a bad reality show. At the end of the 7 HOUR date, he drove me home blaring heavy metal the whole way and after he informed me, "I guess I should do the gentlemanly thing and walk you to your door", he asked me if I would like to go out again sometime. No thanks, but thanks for the great story that we have gotten lots of giggles about. I swore off blind dates after that one.

That summer Kris moved down to Honduras because he had fallen in love and I got the cutest, fluffiest kitten you have ever seen and after being told she was a girl, I name her Princess Sasha and bought her pink EVERYTHING. When I took her for an appointment a few months later, the doctor said, "This cat has balls" and the Princess got dropped from HIS name.

That year we had been doing alot to connect and bond the pastors in our area. The culmination of our efforts was the 7/20 Gathering which was a 12 hour prayer and praise event at the local high school stadium. I was in charge of the administration and we invited every church and business in the area to it. It was an insanely huge project and we had a college intern at the church that summer to help us with the project and somehow we pulled it off and had about 4000 people attend. It really showed me that I had way more ability then I ever realized. The week after the event Sherah and Vish went on family vacation and I realized suffered from a huge lack of purpose. I had spent months in a crazy rush working long hours, eatting, sleeping & breathing this project and it was over in one day. Ben the intern would read to me outloud that week to cheer me up and come up with fun adventures for us.

That summer I drove up to New Hampshire and got to see my grandparents one more time living in their house that they had lived in all my life. Dan and Nova were visiting New Hampshire too and we stayed with some of their friends. Dan and I started talking about the ship years after everyone else had fallen asleep and we laughed for hours about funny old memories.




In October I had to get my wisdom teeth removed. Bri drove me to my appointment and loved laughing when I came to after the surgery and I couldn't stop laughing. I actually remember the nurse trying to talk to me and being annoyed that I wasn't listening because I was so busy laughing, but I couldn't help it. I spent the afternoon at the Bumbaughs and Micah loved it because I was still on heavy meds and sat and listened to him talk about hunting forever as I had my bag of frozen peas on my face. Lane came into town and picked me up from there to take me home and take care of me that night. Princess Sasha LOVED Lane!

No comments:

Post a Comment