Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dreams coming true at 20




20 started with a few more dreams being fulfilled for me. Since I was 16 and had to read Les Miserables, I had been dying to see the Broadway play. I remember Stefan told me that he had a surprise for me for my birthday and asking what I thought it was and I was too afraid to hope that that could be it because that was what I wanted most, but sure enough my 20th birthday came and he had arranged to take me to NYC to see it. The year before while watching the ball drop on TV, I had mentioned outloud, "Someday I am going to spend New Years in Time Square and see the ball drop in person" to which the people with me just laughed at me. Well New Years when I was 20, Stefan, his sister, Liz, Jordan, and I headed to Time Square and saw it live. I was freezing and the ball was WAY smaller than I thought it would be, but it was amazing to fulfill something I had wanted to do and I think everyone should spend at least 1 New Years in Time Square. It happened to be right after 9/11 and the security was CRAZY that year and as the confetti fell at midnight Stefan said, "I bet this is laced with anthrax." Luckily we survived.



That May Stefan and I broke up and shortly after, I headed to TX for Jill's wedding. After the hustle and bustle of New Haven, I basked in the slow quiet pace of Van. I spent a month in TX hanging out with Rachel and Jessica and working in the Mercy Ships mailroom. That was such a fun summer. My last weekend before heading back to CT, Rachel, Genae, Tamar and I took a road trip to Houston to pick up Laura. We listened to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack the whole way, went to the beach, musuems, and had so much fun. Then we picked Laura up and stopped at a gas station. Laura went to put more oil in the car, but poured it down the wrong spot and hot oil splashed up in her face. None of us had seen it happened, but Laura was crying and yelling and we were paralysed with fear. The owner of the gas station finally called an ambulance and Laura was rushed to the hospital. Luckily she didn't have any lasting facial scars, but it was such a scary situation.



I headed back to CT, but met with the YWAM leadership and told them that I would be moving back to TX 6 weeks later. Those 6 weeks were a sweet time of rest, spending quality time with people I loved before heading back to TX and restoration with Steef. The week before I moved, all of YWAM New Haven road tripped to IL for Ricci and Jeremy's wedding. Emily, Stefan, Brian and I drove together and had so much fun. Then on the way home, our car broke down and we got stuck at Emily's parents house for several days of forced rest and vacation.


Ricci and Jeremy decided to spend their first married year in TX. Stefan was able to get a job in TX for the fall staffing a DTS at Mercy Ships so we all moved back down and adjusted to TX life. I got a job at Mercy Ships working in Donor Services and helping in the mailroom. I also started taking dance classes with Jessica and Ashlee at the local YWAM base. I LOVED my tap and hip hop classes!



That Thanksgiving, did Thanksgiving Dinner in Ricci and Jeremy's little apartment with Steef, Josh Clark, Devon, and that was the first day I met Ryan.

No comments:

Post a Comment