Friday, November 11, 2011

Life is so confusing at 6


I spent a lot of my 6th year being some pretty interesting theories in life. The first being marriage. The way I thought picking your husband or wife out was that everyone who wanted to get married would go into a giant room with men on one side and women on the other and the announcer would say, “On your mark, get set, go!” and you would run and grab the spouse that you wanted. I came up with a grand plan. I wanted to marry a prince and princes wore crowns so before they said go, I was going to scan the crowd for where exactly the prince was standing and at go, I was going to run faster than anyone else and grab the prince, thus making me a princess.
That brings us to mis”conception” #2 -the baby making process. One day I asked my parents how a woman gets pregnant. Wanted to avoid “The Talk”, they told me, “You have to really want one.” Well, I pretty much came out of the womb wanting a baby of my own so I spent most of 6 scared to death that I was pregnant. I had actually already learned about S-E-X on the playground from one of the girls whose parents let her watch rated R movies, but I had not put 2 + 2 together that that was the actual way to make babies.

When I was 6, I did a good bit of traveling. My grandparents lived in New Hampshire, but then spent their winter months in Phoenix, AZ. Every other year my dad would visit them and take one of us kids along with him. I still remember my first plane ride and spending the week drinking orange soda, eating sugary cereals for breakfast, visiting Indian ruins, watching square dancers, picking grapefruits, and watching Jeopardy every evening.

That year we also did something that we never did which was take a vacation to a location that was not to visit family. We drove to Washington, DC for a week. My favorite things we did were swim in the hotel pool, wait in the freezing cold to go up to the top of the Washington Monument, and my #1 was our visit to Ford Theatre to see where Lincoln was shot.

We also still went camping at Baxter State Park, took our annual road trip to Canada which my dad was now able to accompany us on, spent time at Lake Winnipesaukee, AND we started going to Camp Faithful (which might actually have been the summer before). I LOVED Camp Faithful from the beginning. The first year we stayed in the cabin Starr and made so many friends. My mom ran vacation bible school in the mornings, we swam in the afternoons, and the evenings we spent in the tabernacle. The campground was like alittle world in itself and we had free reign. I loved every minute at Camp Faithful!

The final highlight of 6 was my kindergarten end of the year play. The theme was Mother Goose and nursery rhymes. Mother Goose was the lead and she arrived and the rest of the kindergarteners took turns reciting nursery rhymes to her. I remember the day of the big announcement of which parts each person would get. I wanted it so badly, AND the announcement came that I had gotten it. There was an old couple in the church who used to help with the maintance of the property and the church and I LOVED following them around and chatting with them. To rid me of my timidity, my mom made me stand outside our house on the hill and pretend that Roy & Lorna were down by the church and see if I could make them hear me. “I am glad my gander flew swiftly. I arrived here just in time. I heard you little children all know your nursery rhymes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment