Monday, November 7, 2011

The Not So Terrible 2s

So I figured if I had had a bad case of the "terrible 2s" I would have been hearing about it since I was little, but just incase, I called my mom today and as I figured, I guess I didn't really ever go through the terrible 2s. The other thing is as hard as it is for most people to believe, 2 is around the time that I start having memories from.

Some of you may know this, my mom is an alien (I actually bought her a pin that said, "I am an alien" one year and as cool as my mom is, she actually wore it with pride- you rock Mams!). She is Canadian. So as I have mentioned in past posts, every summer she would load us 4 kids into our subaru and we would visit my aunts, uncles, & Nan AND THEN we would board a ferry and head to Green Bay, Nova Scotia where we would spend out days building sandcastles, swimming, and climbing rocks and our evenings taking long walks on the beach. I am actually shocked that we did this as Nan's cottage called Grey Rocks had no running water or indoor plumbing and Mammy is not exactly what you would call a roughing it type person. But those weeks were always so much fun! My dad was an engineer at a ship yard at that time so he had to stay home for most of the summer. My dad is an amazing builder (I mentioned that he had built the house we were living in at the time), but he also built our beds, dressers, nightstands, and bookcases in our rooms. I still remember coming home that summer and while we were away he had made me my very own big girl bed to replace my crib and I remember being so excited because he had picked out sheets with little flowers on them for me.

This was also the year that my parents went on their first and last (til I was in 4th grade) solo trip leaving us with our best friends the Sandbournes. My dad had to go over to England and Scotland for work and so my mom went along and they made a vacation of it. They ended up missing us so much that they never did that again.

See, what's so terrible about 2?

No comments:

Post a Comment