Thursday, November 10, 2011


Munchkin. This is one of the many nicknames my mom called me growing up (the other was Tuts, my dad’s for me was his little bambino) This a name was actually very accurate as my mom has always been a huge Dunkin Donuts fan and some days when the other kids were in school, my mom and I would go to DD where I would pick out a few munchkins. I begged my mom to let me have a real donut and she always told me I was too little for one. Finally one day she
relented and guess what- she was right, I couldn’t finish it all! Moms can be so smart. It was back to the munchkins for me.

Four years old was a year of big change for me. My dad felt that he was supposed to quit his job
at the shipyard and become a pastor. We sold the big house on the hill in Canterbury and until we were in our new location, we rented “The Walsh’s” which is what we called that house because
that was the landlord’s names. Martha got to sleep in a loft, Jill had a room with a little tv in it and for the first time we lived in a neighborhood with lots of other kids to play with. I also developed my first crush who was one of Martha’s friends (I always did have a thing for older men). I remember getting to dress up for Halloween (as a princess of course) and marching in the Canterbury Halloween parade with my siblings and then watching Davy Crockett on tv that night while the trick or treaters stopped by. We were not allowed to trick or treat growing up, but I don’t remember minding at all. I remember going to see Santa with Tim at the local library. I remember somebody dropped a bunch of pees on the floor during dinner and since the floor was
green, we had a hard time finding them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment